List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Infinite horizontal width [Partial Solution]
From:       Ross Boylan <RossBoylan () stanfordalumni ! org>
Date:       2004-01-13 2:32:16

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 04:50:26PM -0200, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Ross Boylan wrote:
> >This is a Debian KDE 2.2.2 installation.
>
> KDE 2.2.2 is no longer supported. No code is written for it nor any
> bugfixes will come around.

I didn't know any versions were supported :)  Actually, on Debian
2.2.2 is what's in the latest release.  Mostly, I was hoping someone
here would have a recollection or a suggestion.  Yours was quite valuable.

> >Any ideas or suggestions?
>
> 1) Use a more recent KDE.
In time (and disk space).

> 2) Clean up your ~/.kde of the broken files. Note that running a newer
> version of KDE upgrades configuration files, so they could now be
> broken for your old version.

Great idea.  I tried moving my .kde and .kderc aside, and everything
came back, including problems that have bedevilled me for about a year
(e.g., main help text is invisible).

I also think I narrowed things down with an experiment: just checking
the "use anti-alias fonts" was sufficient to restore the previous bad
behavior with the infinite windows.

I think this version of KDE uses the freetype 1 library and
XftConfig.  So the two most likely suspects are that I have edited
that incorrectly, or that some more recent version of these libs has
somehow broken binary compatibility with the KDE version I have
installed (e.g., KDE is gcc 2.95 but the libs are 3.3).

Thanks.