List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Enhance Trash can functionality
From:       Jonathan Hunt <jhuntnz () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2004-01-12 1:41:16

Hi Guys,

I wrote quite awhile back about improving the functionality of the trash can
in KDE (allowing multiple files of the same name, restoring files etc). After
a few emails I decide that in the interests of compatibilty (ie with GNOME
project etc) the underlying library would need to be written in C. I have
finally gotten enough time together to complete this.
For those who are interested you can find my project at
http://tra.sourceforge.net . There you can download a copy of the GPL source.
The library and basic command line tool is working (although not very pretty)
- its just needs some more documentation etc and enhanced bug testing - don't
use it on any production system just yet.
But for me the next stage is integrating the enhanced trashbin into KDE.

I just wanted to check my plan of attack is the "KDE" way. I plan to write a
trashbin io slave so that files in the trash can be viewed etc thru
konqueror. Then I need to change konqueror so that the move to trash command
run "tra" instead of move. Presumbably this is a very basic change. But then
is it possible to make konqueror's right click menu (or action menu) context
sensitive. I notice it is for devices (ie right click on shortcut to CDROM
and u have the mount and unmount options). The last thing I need to do is
make it so that right clicking on any icon in the trash bin will give a
"Restore to Original Location" or something like that option for undeleting a
file. After this KDE will have a fully functional trash can. Just please let
me know if this is a reasonable plan - I can't promise any time frame for
completion - my free time fluctuates.

Cheers,
Jonathan Hunt

--