List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: (no subject)
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-01-10 23:43:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Petter E. Stokke wrote:
>I'd definitely like to see BitTorrent implemented for KDE, and, like
> Mr. Pyne, I also tried my hand at getting a BT client going once, and
> didn't get much farther than the BEncoding, although, unlike Mr.
> Pyne, my efforts didn't result in any useful product. I'm coming to
> believe that the best way to go would be to simply use the original
> BitTorrent code along with some Python DCOP glue to produce a
> kded-like service, w9th a GUI frontend to go with it; a bit like the
> mldonkey/KMLDonkey combination, only more specifically tailored to
> the particular needs of the BitTorrent protocol. It has the great
> advantage of being easier to implement, not to mention more
> compatible, than any C++ reimplementation. I doubt the Python
> dependency would constitute an added burden to any KDE user these
> days.

I agree with Petter's arguments here. BitTorrent is not like normal I/O
and would definetely not integrate well with KIO. For one thing, data
comes completely out-of-order, so you can't reconstitute the files
being downloaded until they've completed downloading.

My suggestion would be a simple download manager -- maybe even
integrated with KMLDonkey -- by running one or more instances of
btdownloadheadless.py. Maybe some tweaking or another script would be
necessary to give the manager enough information to present the user.

Another solution would be to simply rewrite the btdownloadgui.py script
in PyQt or KDE's Python bindings (do they exist?) instead of wxPython.

I would specially recommend against rewriting the download engine. Use
the existing, official one.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiagom (AT) mail (dot) com