List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE compilation optimization
From:       Roger Larsson <roger.larsson () norran ! net>
Date:       2004-01-08 20:31:38

On Saturday 07 May 2005 01.12, Mosfet wrote:
> Usually I use "-march=athlon-tbird -O3 -mmmx -m3dnow." I don't think you
> need to specify -mcpu if you specify -march.
>
> There is a lot of debate about what makes better executables, -Os or -O3.
> I'd be interested in how that works w/ KDE. Has anyone figured out the
> ideal compiler flags?

Probably there is one or two applications that would benefit from -O3, but the
total effect on KDE might be bad (it will use more i[nstruction]cache and
L[evel]2 cache)

Read this news item by Linus (on comp.arch)

<http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl1376590363d&dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&safe=off&edition=us&selm=bsa3cr%
 24uos%241%40build.pdx.osdl.net&rnum=157>

Since KDE is object oriented(== lots of small functions everywhere) I would
guess that our problem is even bigger...

Anyone having recent cachegrid results?

A smart optimizing linker(!) could help more than any compiler option.

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
Skellefteċ