List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Integrating this behavior into konqueror? (again)
From:       Stefano Borini <munehiro () ferrara ! linux ! it>
Date:       2004-01-06 11:13:51

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 07:20:18PM +0100, Martin Köbele wrote:

> > 2) since it's heavily different from the "standard" usage pattern that
> > users know, it won't be elected as a new paradigm, since it's too different
> > -> too difficult -> it won't be an innovative and must-have-feature until
> > it ships with MS or Apple brand over it.
> > nasty world... this is the truth.
>
> I strongly disagree. You almost say that KDE or even OpenSource can't be
> innovative. This attitude would decrease "innovations" and "ideas" to simple
> plagiarism and copying of MS or Apple products.

\begin{only a plain opinion, far from starting flames or OT discussions}

Not really. I didn't say OS can't be innovative. OS _is_ innovative and
it brings us lots and lots of new approaches. OS blinks an eye to
University research, and this is the main innovative research engine in
every scientific field.

What i'm stating here is that the OS innovation is unknown to the
average joe user until it's shipped with branded products, say IE, say
outlook, say whatever you want. But who created the web, or the email?
opensourcers, of course.

Unfortunately, their names and many of the derived products are unknown
to the AJU, which unfortunately calls the internet "explorer" and the
email "outlook", just like he calls a slideshow "a powerpoint", no
matter which format it is (i heard a pdf file called a powerpoint just
because it was a presentation).
Even more, i prospect a lot of people will claim as a microsoft
innovation the upcoming popup blocker in IE. Never matter if mozilla had
it from the beginning of the world. On italian papers and magazines, the
Internet section has an "explorer" icon... i could give you tons of
similar examples.

So, i'm strongly for this kind of approach and experimentation, just
like i was really in favour of slicker as a default interface for KDE,
but hoping this will be a killer feature that will put a seed for moving
people from the old win-style interface to this approach is a no no,
just like people didn't move to mozilla due to popups and IE
vulnerabilities.

Maybe, in Longhorn 2nd ed or in MacOSY, this approach will be added to that
interface, masking it just like XAML is the perfect clone of XUL and C#
is a quite similar clone of java. And it will be innovative in people
mind, surely.

\end{only...}

To come back in topic, maybe the interface as the developer presented is
too heavy and cluttered. It could be improved to work like a charm. but
obviously i think this work is for kde-usability.