On Wednesday 31 December 2003 11:56, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote: I had a similar discussion on http://www.kde-forum.org My problem is still: how do you get the stdout and stderr? (May be it is very easy but I have no idea. If we always redirecty stdout and stderr, the kdebug system would not work anymore.) Have a nice day! > hello everyone, > > Dun you hate when you start an application from the K menu or the desktop, > but the window simply doesn't open? Sometimes apps fail to start, and that > is a fact of life + =( > > The startup notification sure helps in letting you know that you actually > attempted to open the app, and is a welcome step forward. But sometimes I > need to open the app in a konsole window to actually see what happened, in > the konsole window, by peeking at the stderr output. Wouldn't it be great > to have it show discreetly when the app fails to start or bombs out? Even > better, wouldnt it be great to peek to the stderr output of the app so > diagnosing what went wrong is much faster? > > Attached to this email you'll find a very crappy depiction of an idea of > what could be done. How far are we from getting something like this? > Could this be done with a minimum of fuss? Perhaps a stderr or stdout dump > can be incorporated to crash handler reports. Sort of "The last words of > this app were:" stuff. > > Technically it could be done with all this startup notification things on > the .desktop files, at least for them, although I'd love to see it work on > programs started directly from minicli / krun. All that needs to be done > is to tee the stderr output of the app, and when the "failed to start" > condition is detected, present it in the form of a kpassivepopup or some > sort of balloon pointing to the notification button on the taskbar, or > perhaps a small icon on the tray. > > suerte, > > Rudd-O > > =========================================================== > UNIVERSIDAD TECNICA FEDERICO SANTA MARIA > CAMPUS GUAYAQUIL > CENTRO DE SERVICIOS INFORMATICOS > Mail enviado a traves de IMP-USM: http://www.usm.edu.ec/imp > Los invitamos a visitar http://www.usm.edu.ec > =========================================================== >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<