List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt postscript font bug ?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-12-30 23:41:59

James Richard Tyrer wrote:

>> Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have two ttf fonts, vandijkb.ttf and vandijkn.ttf, which I'd like
>>> to use, but I can't print them from kde apps.
>>>
>>> The entry in fonts.dir looks like this:
>>>
>>> vandijkb.ttf -misc-Van Dijk-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1
>>> vandijkn.ttf -misc-Van Dijk-medium-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1
>>>
>>> The entries in /usr/share/ghostscript/7.05/lib/Fontmap.GS looks like
>>> this:
>>>
>>> /Van-DijkITC-Bold    (/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/TTF2/vandijkb.ttf);
>>> /Van-DijkITC-Normal    (/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/TTF2/vandijkn.ttf);
>>>
>>> I can use the fonts e.g. in kpresenter to format the text, but the
>>> generated postscript file doesn't work.
>>>
>>> This is the start of the generated postscript file:
>>>
>>> %!PS-Adobe-1.0
>>> %%BoundingBox: 0 0 595 841
>>> %%Creator: Qt 3.2.1
>>> %%Title:
>>> %%CreationDate: Tue Dec 30 21:58:38 2003
>>> %%Orientation: Portrait
>>> %%Pages: 1
>>> %%DocumentFonts: Van DijkITC-Normal
>>>
>>> %%EndComments
>>> %%BeginProlog
>>>
>>> The problem seems to be the space between "Van" and "DijkITC" in the
>>> fontname.
>>> If I replace this space with a "-" the ps file "works, i.e. I can
>>> print it.
>>>
>>> So, is this a problem in Qt, or a problem with the font, which maybe
>>> shouldn't contain spaces, or something else ?
>>> Can I work around this problem or has it to be fixed in Qt or is the
>>> font "broken" ?
>>>
>>> Qt version is 3.2.1
>>>
>>> The entries in FontMap.GS were created with the attached perl script
>>> (found in the fonts.howto)
>>>
>> You can first try my Beta script:
>>
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~tyrerj/files/txfm.sh
>>
>> Which makes a Fontmap in the same directory as the fonts -- the
>> directory it is run in. But, that isn't what I'm interested in.  It
>> also reports the PostScript font names while it is running.
>>
>> Note: you need: "ttf2pt1" for this to work.
>>
>> If it reports a PostScript font name with a space in it, the problem
>> is with the font because it is NOT legal to have a PostScript font
>> name with a space in it -- the other font names may contain spaces but
>> they must be removed to make the PostScript font name (a '-" or "_" is
>> not standard practice).
>>
>> If my script reports a PostScript font name with a space in it, the
>> problem lies with the font -- it doesn't have a legal PostScript font
>> name and I can only suggest that you report the problem to the source
>> of the font.
>

> Forget that idea.  The program: "ttf2pt1" does NOT find a (PostScript)
> "FontName".
>
> This presents a problem.  But, I would still guess that there is
> something wrong with the font's header.

OK, the new version of "ttf2pt1" appears to have more features, and I need to work on my
script.  I will post new version.

The correct PostScript font names (the ones that should be in: "Fontmap") are:

	Van-DijkITC-Normal
	Van-DijkITC-Bold

which is what you have.

So, if your PostScript data file doesn't have that name then this *is* a bug in the Qt
PostScript driver.

I will try the font and get back to you.

--
JRT