List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Does KDE want to limit or destroy its commercial acceptance?
From:       Christian Mueller <cmueller () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-12-30 11:17:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Dienstag, 30. Dezember 2003 11:37 schrieben Sie:
> I was resisting replying to this *KDE* thread, but since the thread has
> already started spiralling into Qt,

Well, there's no way to discuss the licensing issues (or the absence thereof)
completely without speaking about Qt.  I wanted it to stop there though.
I think the reason for this thread is a mere misunderstanding of the
paragraph in the developer documentation.

> perhaps I can give a first hand account
> of the selection of Qt in a commercial setting?

Thanks for your account.  That's the real life.

From the debate on the userlinux list I got the impression that
there are quite a few people on that list that haven't seen a
commercial setting with their own eyes, but still they're trying
to make a decision on what they *think* a business needs or wants.
The debate was loaded with assumptions.
Like "Whoaa! 1000$!  That's a huuuge amount of money!
I don't make as much in three months.
No company smaller than IBM will be able to afford that.".
Ok, I'm exaggerating.

Christian.