List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Does KDE want to limit or destroy its commercial acceptance?
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2003-12-29 23:38:45

On Monday 29 December 2003 22:49, Paul Hampson wrote:

> however i am sure
> if we did a survey of several companies and told them that if they had the
> choice between free, powerful development software that would allow them to
> port to many types of systems with little engineering and gave them the
> ability to choose their liscense (as GTK+ is LGPL'd) over one that is very
> similar yet they have to pay for they would choose the free one.

On what are you basing this intuition ? Working in the software
industry, I find that :

- Qt's price is irrelevant. This argument is often being brought up, but has
really no ground. Qt is cheap compared to most development products
available.

- the LGPL is *NOT* considered to be without issues, be they real or not. Most
companies will very much prefer purchasing licenses rather than running any
legal risk.

- what matters in development is time. This is by far the most costly
resource. Any comparison of Qt and GTK+, as is routinely the case prior to a
purchase, will be in favor of Qt.

As has been recently discussed on dot.kde.org, the only serious advantage
Gnome has to offer to a proprietary company compared to KDE is Ximian, that
is, an entity they can talk to. That KDE lacks such a corporate entity is the
only real problem we have, not Qt's License.

--
						Guillaume.
						http://www.telegraph-road.org