List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: PerlQt, PerlKDE
From:       Dominic Chambers <dominic () enkasa ! com>
Date:       2003-12-28 20:04:42

On Sunday 28 Dec 2003 5:32 pm, Allen Winter wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm developing a financial application that I hope will one day become a
> full-featured KDE app. Partly because I enjoy programming in Perl, and
> partly because much of the code I need already exists as Perl modules, I
> decided to write this project in PerlQt and then incorporate PerlKDE when
> it becomes available.
>
> Things are coming along nicely, but now I'm having second thoughts.
> Concerns:
>  - PerlKDE is only in "beta" or "pre-beta"
>  - If/when PerlKDE becomes stable will it be shipped with KDE?
>  - Do any major distributions ship PerlQt?
>  - How hard will it be to retrofit the PerlKDE goodies?
>
> I guess I'm looking for arguments for moving to a KDE C++ application
> before I get too far along.  I haven't found any nice, GPL C++ financial
> class libraries.  Anyone know of one?   I at least need something like the
> Finance::Quote and Finance::QuoteHist perl modules.  Oh, and I need
> plotting capability.
>
> Any thoughts on the subject?

Hi Allen, I'm a KDE noob, so I can't talk specifics, but I would warn you to
be extremely cautious about building around vapour or beta-ware. I just lost
a reasonable sized project by building around XUL after hearing all the hype,
but it was so immature that I was battling it all the way.

I just started out here, and in a week I have really started to get a feel for
the KDE build environment, and have to say that it is probably the best
engineered toolkit I have ever used. I don't know how much effort it would be
to back port, but I think you are making a rod for your own back; KDE has a
higher lever of abstraction than Qt, is really easy to work with, and results
in much better looking apps.

If it is just Perl libraries you need, and those really don't exist in C,
couldn't you just wrap them for use by C, and call them from within your app?