List:       kde-devel
Subject:    PerlQt, PerlKDE
From:       Allen Winter <winterz () verizon ! net>
Date:       2003-12-28 16:32:27

Folks,

I'm developing a financial application that I hope will one day become a full-featured KDE app.
Partly because I enjoy programming in Perl, and partly because much of the code I need
already exists as Perl modules, I decided to write this project in PerlQt and then incorporate
PerlKDE when it becomes available.

Things are coming along nicely, but now I'm having second thoughts.
Concerns:
 - PerlKDE is only in "beta" or "pre-beta"
 - If/when PerlKDE becomes stable will it be shipped with KDE?
 - Do any major distributions ship PerlQt?
 - How hard will it be to retrofit the PerlKDE goodies?

I guess I'm looking for arguments for moving to a KDE C++ application
before I get too far along.  I haven't found any nice, GPL C++ financial
class libraries.  Anyone know of one?   I at least need something like the
Finance::Quote and Finance::QuoteHist perl modules.  Oh, and I need
plotting capability.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Regards,
Allen