List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: How do I create Make files - again
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-12-25 3:13:13

Kevin Gilbert wrote:
> OK, Thanks to all for their advice, but now another (stupid) question.
>
> I've updated the Makefile.am file - now how do I generate the
> Makefile.in file? This
> <http://developer.kde.org/documentation/other/developer-faq.html#q2.4>
> (http://developer.kde.org/documentation/other/developer-faq.html#q2.4)
> refers to the process without giving any details.
>
> Alright, my questions my be very asinine, but, in the spirit of Xmas,
> please humour the mentally challenged! :-[

Merry Christmas Kevin.

I think that it would help if you read some of the documentation.

An overview of what happens is that you start with a Makefile.am.  You run: 'automake' and
this produces a Makefile.in.  Then you run 'autoconf' and it builds a 'configure' script.
  You then run the 'configure' script and it produces a Makefile.  The details are in the
documentation for 'automake' and 'autoconf'.

There is also the issue of libtool.  You might need to run 'libtoolize' first.

And, 'autoheader', and probably some other stuff that I don't remember at the moment.

--
JRT