List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KMahJongg issues
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () cs ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2003-12-21 14:30:28

Frerich pointed this out this morning, that KMahJongg is doing bogus things,
and so I looked into it a little more and discovered different bogus things
than he had. So here's my list (checked only once, I'm not SC).

1) Few files have copyright headers.
2) The source is rife with old-C-style constructs: fscanf(), memset(), etc. It
needs another serious code cleanup (Ben Meyer did the last one).
3) It _sometimes_ uses struct assignments, possibly including arrays. Other
times it uses mem*().
4) A lot of memory is not initialized; a typical trace goes like this:

kmahjongg: [void BoardWidget::loadSettings()]
kmahjongg: [void BoardWidget::drawBoard(bool)]
kmahjongg: [void BoardWidget::drawTileNumber()]
kmahjongg: [int BoardWidget::moveCount()]
kmahjongg: Initial for loop.
kmahjongg: Second while loop.
kmahjongg: Using MaxTileNum=53455 Pos_Ende=-12080
kmahjongg: Comparing -12079 to -12080
kmahjongg:    (0,0) 0  0
kmahjongg:    (0,0) 0  0
kmahjongg: Comparing -12078 to -12080

(that's all debugging I've added): it's now doing some search though an array,
while indexing it with wildly wrong indexes. At this point, the game
basically sits there forever searching through memory.

So on 5-CURRENT, CVS HEAD, amd64 (not the most popular of platforms, I
suppose) the game is totally unusable. Frerich probably has some other stuff
to add based on the game working at least partially.

Certainly issue (1) is important, since there is no ABOUT or LICENSE file
available to show under what conditions most of the files of the application
may be distributed.

--
pub  1024D/FEA2A3FE 2002-06-18 Adriaan de Groot <groot@kde.org>
            If the door is ajar, can we fill it with door-jamb?