List:       kde-devel
Subject:    handling of <TAB> key in HTML forms' input elements has changed?
From:       Torsten Kasch <tk () CeBiTec ! Uni-Bielefeld ! DE>
Date:       2003-12-21 22:37:53

Hi,

obviously, the handling of the <TAB> key handling for the completion list in
input elements in HTML forms has changed; it isn't possible anymore to cycle
through the possible completions with this key as in KDE 3.1.x. Instead,
pressing <TAB> jumps to the next form element.

It seems that this change was introduced with revision 1.254 of
kdelibs/khtml/rendering/render_form.cpp

My question: Was there a specific reason for this? Apart from the fact that I
was quite used to the previous behaviour ;-), I would like to vote for
reverting this change for the following reasons:

* consistency: Konqueror's location bar allows cycling through the
  history with <TAB>.
* consistency: All application menus accept <TAB> for cycling through
  their entries.
* usability: IMHO it's a lot easier/quicker to cycle through the options with
  the left hand while keeping the right one near the <RETURN> key or on the
  mouse (for right-handed people, at least) instead of looking for the arrow
  keys which are just "too far away".

Sorry if I missed any previous discussion on this topic, but since
lists.kde.org seems to be down right now, I couldn't check for myself...

cheers & merry x-mas,

	Torsten

--
   Torsten Kasch                                  tk@CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
      Center for Biotechnology (CeBiTec) / BRF    Office: V6-151