List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: K-ARTIST: "ikiller" idea
From:       Ante Wessels <vitanova2 () softhome ! net>
Date:       2003-12-19 12:53:09

On Viernes 19 Diciembre 2003 08:35, James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> AFAIK, KDE still uses PNG icons.  The idea that it will someday directly
> use SVG icons is vapor ware.  The reason is speed.  So, even if KDE does
> use SVG icons they will be cached as PNGs.
>
> So, if KDE were to make composite icons, it would be using the PNGs, or it
> could use the SVG.  It could be done either way.

It can be done either way, true - if technically possible. On a design level,
it is a matter of the source file. There used to be gimp source files,
----.xcf. If everyone used the same source for the mime part, (the sheet of
paper in the background) then the icons had the same look. Now svg source
files are emerging. It is always good to take the same starting point.
Vectors have a different feel, smoother. If everyone starts with vectors, all
icons will have the smoother feel. Visual consistency is important.
  Also, then no icons will be missing on the vector level. While kde will use
the pngs normally, there may be use for the vectors in some other cases.
   One case is forseeable: at some point bigger icons will be needed. With all
vectors in place, it is a matter of one batch operation to make them. One of
the reasons for vectors is that it is impossible to maintain the ever growing
number of sizes, while icons keep changing.

If KDE goes vector for the icons, implement it fully.

> But, if -- as you said -- repairs are needed to make the pixel ones then
> KDE would be working from the pixmaps since these *repaired* pixmaps would
> be all that was available.
>
> Actually, you can make smaller icons with The Gimp by using oversampling
> and they look pretty good unless there are problems with the original
> vector artwork.  And, it is quite often very hard to "repair" a small icon
> -- better to reduce them from a 4x pixel image that looks correct.

Scaling to very small sizes is indeed often better done with pixels then with
vectors. Still, there has to be a vector, from which the bigger icons can be
made. For the smallest, well, always use the best tool available.

> I find that there are no 22x22 icons for the KOffice applications.  I made
> the attached from th 48x48 one (22x oversampled cubic with The GIMP).  Do
> you think that this is OK?

Anything that gets you the icon is ok. It is just that a newly designed icon
is best started as a vector.

--

Cordialemente,

Ante