List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Middle-clicking in Konqueror sometimes goes to whatever is in
From:       Phoenix <phoenixreads () rogers ! com>
Date:       2003-12-18 10:59:58

On Wednesday December 17 2003 01:11 pm, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:
> El mié, 17-12-2003 a las 03:24, Christian Mueller escribió:
> > I think another logical feature would be to have more than one
> > search engine drop target ("differently configured" icons on
> > the kicker bar), e.g. one for google, one for leo, one for php.
>
> Perhaps clicking on it could open the default search engine,
> middle-clicking on it could search the default search engine with the
> PRIMARY or SELECTION clipboard content, and right-clicking on it could
> show a drop down menu:
>
> Search Google for "maxi disco hits"
> Search AltaVista for "maxi disco hits"
> Search RPM Find for "maxi disco hits"
> Search PHP for "maxi disco hits"
> Search Teoma for "maxi disco hits"
> Search IMDB for "maxi disco hits"
> --------------------
> Configure search options...
>
> That'd be two clicks instead of one, but then again by doing this you
> shouldn't need to add more than one kicker applet.
>
> The user should be able to select Configure search options... and have
> the Konqueror search shortcuts kcm module open up... And this kcm module
> should have a control to let the user select the default search engine.
>
> > Christian.

Just adding to the "ideas" list... something I was pondering doing.

There is a plugin for firebird called needlesearch where the idea originated.

The interesting thing is you search for "NeedleSearch" and then press the "add
button". What it does is take the url and automatically add it to the list of
search options. Then that list is available through a drop down menu in a
toolbar. Also it is available through a context menu called "Needlesearch".

I just hate reinventing the wheel so in KDE after hitting "add url" button or
menu item you get the "add web shortcut dialog".

The add search engine could be added to the Tools menu.

To make it completely functional at least "add to context menu" checkbox has
to be added to the "add web shortcut dialog". Sadly if you want to have a
default search engine another checkbox is needed. Or you could use the search
shortcut "default"? Add a button, "make default".

What would be added is a context sub-menu called "Search In..." and work
exactly how it does in Firebird the way Needlesearch does. Hightlight some
text, right click, and then move to the appropriate search engine.

Or you can replace sub-menu with a kicker applet.

Another option but not sure if it is practical is having tree like listing in
the add web shortcut dialog thus giving categories and the ability to
organize 10s or even 100s of searches. This would then translate into a
sub-menus like bookmarks but instead of a launching a web page, it launches a
web search.

The listing would simply parse the already available search engine instead of
storing it separately and launch a search using KDE method of xx:{search
string} thus as far as I understand it is nothing more than launching a URL.

I am still a newbie so I have no clue how to do this. :)

Phoenix