List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Collecting "hi" voices
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2003-12-16 12:52:53

On Tuesday 16 December 2003 13:19, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> On December 16, 2003 05:07 am, Daniel Engelschalt wrote:
> > > Karl-Heinz
> >
> > I'd vote for a warm, female voice: "Welcome to KDE"... :)
>
> You couldn't make it too warm, otherwise it will sound like a porn ad :P

Like "a warm, female voice [...]" is not in that direction?

I don't really know if I like the ideas in this "hi voices"- thread. First of
all this will take alot of disk space, even if ogg-format is the standard(for
3.3). Second, what is the point of having the computer say "Welcome to KDE"
when it startups - in what way does it makes the interaction better? I don't
like it because it personfies the computer, gives it an identity and becomes
_the_ content which is the documents, the html pages/whatever's role. This is
the main reason.

Another aspect, we have to look up from our belly-buttons and realize KDE is
not the whole world. Every distribution and company installing KDE would nuke
it since it's bad from a PR aspect or if they bought the concept - replace it
with their own. For the second - the user doesn't care if it's
KDE/GNOME/whatever - he/she just wants to use the computer.

Regarding voices representing voices such as "Hi my name is .. and I
pronounce .." is also just a bad idea for above reasons, but multiplied. It
would also lead to some conflicts about who should say it. Because that's
what this is all about - confirmation of our own ego's.

But I think I like the idea of pictures of the maintainer/developers - it
would add a personal touch - distinguising KDE, not be intrusive on the
user's work and help developers/the KDE community  which IMHO is quite
important. But, there's the disk space aspect, although I have no idea of how
much we're talking about.

But, all of these ideas is not that important, afterall, there is *much* more
important things to do. One of those is, ending this very unproductive
mail ;-)

Cheers!

			Frans