List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Native Widgets for OpenOffice
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason.keirstead () q1labs ! com>
Date:       2003-12-12 14:26:34

On December 12, 2003 9:56 am, Andrea Bergia wrote:

> See this link:
> http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/
> Do someone (more competent than me :-) ) plan to pick up the QT/KDE
> version of OpenOffice's widgets? It will be really nice to have OO fit
> into the desktop nicely...

After reading the link, it seems that it doesn't actually *use* the native
widgets. Rather, what it does is get the native library to paint a widget,
then uses it's bitmap to draw the OO widget. This way all the widgets are
still actually OO implemented.

If this is indeed the scheme being used, is there much advantage to writing a
whole new Qt/KDE imp. when you could just use the GTK OO with Geramik? Since
it is not actually using the widgets but just painting them, I don't see too
much of a difference, since this is what Geramik does already.

I suppose though, you'd be removing one more layer of complexity.

To tell you the truth I'd much rather see KIO and the KDE tile dialogs
integrated into OO than the look and feel :P

--
Jason Keirstead
Software Developer

506.462.9117 ext. 111 - Office
506.260.0787 - Mobile
1.877.471.5227

jason.keirstead@fredericton.q1labs.com | www.q1labs.com

Do you know what is happening on your network RIGHT NOW?

QVISION - Network Security Intelligence