List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-devel]  3 D Desktop
From:       Wout Mertens <wmertens () cisco ! com>
Date:       2003-12-09 15:12:29

I've had the privilege to see this in action, it's quite nice, and fast
enough for regular use.

When a window loses focus, it smoothly becomes transparant. You can
double-click on the title bar and that rotates the window, where you'll
find a sticky note that you can write stuff on :).

The bar at the bottom contains live snapshots of the running windows.

I wonder how they do the rendering, perhaps with some directfb
lookalike. In any case, Java is used for everything, except maybe the X
server itself.

As for the patents: I don't know, but I don't think making something
transparant when it loses focus is such a whoop-ti-do idea that they
should go and patent it. I'd prefer shrinking the window anyway. And I'm
pretty sure you'll find prior art for most of the stuff they do.

I looked at the freedesktop.org xserver, and it has the transparancy and
live thumbnailing of windows as well, although some work is needed on a
window manager to actually make these features nice to use.

But still a very nice project. I was surprised that Sun had this in the
works, since they seemed to have dropped the ball on the desktop imho.
Happy to see them making efforts like this :)

Wout.