List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Newbie's panel applet (kicker) woes.
From:       "Beau E. Cox" <beau () beaucox ! com>
Date:       2003-11-21 7:41:36

On Tuesday 18 November 2003 12:54 am, Beau E. Cox wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I'm a newbie to KDE development. For the past month I have
> been working on (and off) a kicker applet to display lm_sensor
> readings. Somewhere in my development cycle, the kicker
> refuses to persist from session to session (ie., a reboot or
> logout-login.) I swear it did work earlier in development.
> Currently, when a new session is restarted from a session
> with the applet running in the panel, I get something
>
> like this in the panel:
>  |^|  (the body on the applet is
>  |  |  competely blank; It seems
>  |  |  to be about the correct size.)
>
> In words, I just get the applet 'handle' icon
> and a blank body. Right clicking on the handle
> gives a popup with only move, remove, and
> panel menu items (no preferences, about, help.)
>
>[blah, blah, blah...]

Hi all -

Well I found my problem. I had a 'slot' defined in an .h file
that did NOT have any code defined! The compile/link (make)
process proceeds w/o warnings or errors. The kicker
starts properly from the panel->add->applet->whatever menu,
but does NOT start after a session restart (see above).

Although no one responded to my query, I am posting this
so others can be warned.

KDE core developers: is there some way to catch this 'stupid'
error in the make? Can a warning or error be generated? I know
I would have saved a lot of time and grief.

Aloha => Beau;