List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kernel 2.6.0-test9 and arts
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2003-11-19 21:03:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Pavel Troller wrote:

>> Anyone tried KDE 3.1.4 with the above kernel?
>
>Hi!
>  I'm routinely running 3.1.4 as well as 3.2 HEAD on 2.6.0-test9, however
> I'm using native ALSA drivers from the kernel. ALSA is configured to
> provide OSS emulation. I have NO problems at all, any app including artsd
> can produce sound perfectly.

I, on the other hand, have been experiencing aRts problems with all the
2.6.0-test kernels I've tried so far. I even think there's a bug report in
bugs.kde.org (not sure if it's open) about that. Since the very same code
worked in 2.4.x kernels but no longer, we assumed it's a kernel bug.

What I experience is a problem with aRts not being able to produce any sound
after the sound module is loaded. I'd have to retest from the beginning to be
sure what situations this occurs, but my behaviour after booting my
2.6.0-test9 kernel is:

1) non-relevant: load the USB drivers (system used to freeze upon USB access
if the drivers were loaded during init)
2) telinit 5 to have kdm show up
3) log in
4) switch back to the root console and killall -9 artsd
5) wait a couple of seconds and then killall -9 artsd again
6) go to the (finally) started KDE session. If I fail to kill artsd twice, KDE
never finishes loading. For instance, kdesktop never places the background
image, even after ksplash has finished running; kicker doesn't start.
7) in a root konsole, killall -9 artsd once again
8) modprobe -r snd-via82xx
9) modprobe snd-via82xx
10) using amixer, set the volumes up
11) make aRts load by hitting backspace in a konsole session, so that a beep
is heard

This is 100% reproducible in every test kernel I tested. If I fail to set the
volumes properly with amixer before artsd is allowed to run, it will freeze
when attempting to use the sound card.

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiagom@mail.com