List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE opaque resize regressions
From:       gtg990h () mail ! gatech ! edu
Date:       2003-11-13 23:08:57

Opaque resize behavior in kde seems to be quite bad in 3.2. Windows that would
resize perfectly smoothly (no lag between contents and frame) in 3.1.x now
exhibit significant lag. Window movement also seems to be worse. In previous
versions of KDE, I never noticed the "expose lag" between the time a window is
moved and the time the underlying window is updated. Now, most apps exhibit at
least some expose lag. Worst of all, there is this new "floating resize"
problem. Resizing a complex window will sometimes result in the resize process
being totally unresponsive to the mouse and the window border will
"float" (move slowly at a regular speed) from the original size to a new size.

I think the problem is with kwin III. The resize problem became apparent after
the kwin III merge (I ran KDE CVS on both side of the merge point, and noticed
the change immediately --- before the merge 3.2 was even better than 3.1.x).
The window move and floating resize problem only became apparent after I
upgraded to Linux kernel 2.6-test9. In xfce, KDE apps resize as they normally
do, and in xfce and Window Maker, I can't detect any expose lag at all when
moving KDE windows around. I'm running Orth's KDE CVS Debian packages dated
Nov. 5 on Debian unstable. The machine is a 2.0 GHz Pentium 4 with XFree 4.3
and NVIDIA's binary drivers.