List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: IBM Applies for Password Manager Patent
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-11-11 19:30:33

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 13:40, Richard Garand wrote:
> On November 11, 2003 07:42 am, George Staikos wrote:
> >   Horrible idea...  Where do we store your password in order to do this?
> > It also defeats the "walk away from the terminal and the wallet is still
> > accessible" safeties.  I think it's very convenient, but a bad idea from
> > a security perspective.
>
> That's what locking the desktop is for - I do it all the time, so I can
> safely leave root shells on several machines open while I'm away.

   You can access the machine many ways other than through the screen that's
locked.  That was just one example.  It's not worthwhile listing them all
again.  If all you want for your passwords is protection via you login
password, use a plain text file.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/