List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: exporting dirs and expiring passwds
From:       John J Lee <jjl () pobox ! com>
Date:       2003-11-10 21:38:00

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Marcos Dione wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 09:30:14PM +0100, Waldo Bastian wrote:
[...]
> > I believe you need suid-perl for that.
>
>     that means... this is done using a perl script?

Presumably... though why KDE would want/need to use Perl for this is a
puzzle.  Especially suidperl, which ISTR was about to be removed from Perl
a while back.

> is not possible setuid that script?

It is, but unices traditionally ignore the suid bit on scripts, I believe.
The interpreter executable itself needs to be setuid -- so suidperl is a
separate executable from standard perl.

> or it's built 'on the fly'?

Guessing at what Waldo means, again, I would assume KDE knows how to
invoke suidperl to do what it wants.

John