List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: word wrapping in KDE apps
From:       Jason Keirstead <jason () keirstead ! org>
Date:       2003-11-10 13:40:36

On November 07, 2003 8:19 pm, André Somers wrote:

> What would be _extremely_ cool I think if you could also use a decent
> hyphenation in conjunction with finding linebreaks. Wouldn't it be cool if
> you could make KHTML use hypenation on a webpage with a lot of text? :P~

Disregarding the rest of the thread...

You can definitely not do this in KHTML. The W3C has very specific rules as to
how User-Agents are supposed to display text, and hyphenating things like
this would totally violate the CSS2 box model. The box model specifies that
each word in a block box is an inline box in the current line box, and..

"When several inline boxes cannot fit horizontally within a single line box,
they are distributed among two or more vertically-stacked line boxes. Thus, a
paragraph is a vertical stack of line boxes."

.. but an inline box can not be split among two line boxes.

Then again I am positive the KHTML devs know this already so I wouldn't have
anything to worry about :P

See http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/visuren.html for details and examples.

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1