List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [OT] Any plans to keep up with longhorn?
From:       Kuba Ober <kuba () mareimbrium ! org>
Date:       2003-11-06 20:38:57

On Monday 03 November 2003 08:08 am, Christophe Devriese wrote:
> On Monday 03 November 2003 10:18, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> > Alle 04:36 AM, luned́ 03 novembre 2003, Christophe Devriese ha scritto:
> > > What exactly is the difference between a procedure drawing a widget
> > > based on some number of settings (which may or may not include screen
> > > size, and possibly include a bitmap, but generally doesn't) and a
> > > "vector based" widget (which also may include bitmaps, but almost never
> > > does) ?
> >
> > Well, vector graphics allow you to specify a width for a line too. So you
> > can zoom preserving the width of the outline. in 2d you can't do that.
>
> Obviously you can do it in 2d. Vector graphics do it. ;-p
>
> Why would the procedure not allow specifying the width of the line ? It's
> just another setting.

As far as current sorry state of art has it, neither XLIB nor WIN32-GDI offers
a useful line width setting. If you've ever tried working with variable line
widths for on-screen display you'd know what I'm talking about. GDI+
supposedly offers something like that, and XRender supposedly does too, but
neither are used for UI by mainstream opensource apps :( Well, Display
Postscript obviously offers that as well, but somehow not too many people run
NeXT these days :)

Cheers, Kuba Ober