List:       kde-devel
Subject:    loop in window manager .... (_NET_WM_PING pings)
From:       Paul Campbell <paul () taniwha ! com>
Date:       2003-11-02 22:47:56

I'm trying to fix a bug (#66928)  in klaptopdaemon. Recently it's
started to soak all the system CPU time making KDE quite useless
on laptops. It uses the same xautolock code that kdesktop uses
for screensavers to look for keystrokes and I suspect that this
is somehow related (actually the kdesktop code has changed but
updating it doesn't fix the problem).

The basic problem is that after the laptop daemon (it's really
really in kded) has been running for a little while if a couple
of windows are opened and closed suddenly kded, kwin and X
suddely start to soak the cpu using roughly 1/3 of it each.

Looking at the problem more closely shows that what's happening
seems to be that kwin is busily sending _NET_WM_PING pings to
kded where somewhere deep down QT is sending them back .... I
suspect they are just looping for ever .....

Someone suggested that the problem m,ay be related to the recent
kwin3 merge.

I'm rather out of my depth and don;t feel comfortable hacking on
kwin or the depths of QT .... could anyone either give me some
clues or suggest a fix?

	thanks

	Paul Campbell