List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [OT]Cultural differences Re: [OT] Any plans to keep up
From:       William Leese <william () leese ! nl>
Date:       2003-11-02 19:29:50

Anguo wrote:

>On Monday 03 Nov 2003 2:48 am, Tim Jansen wrote:
>

>>I also wonder whether plugins are executed in user-space
>>or kernel space. Indexing plugins would have to do quite
>>complex things (parse file formats), and must be very
>>secure (every file that is stored on the disk is a
>>candidate for the indexing plugin, so a exploit in a
>>plugin is fatal).
>>

>I just love it!
>
>MS introduces some "new" "cool" features of the upcoming
>windows version and apparently will worry about possible
>exploits only after the product is shipped.

Same goes for performance: at the moment it takes >5 minutes for
Longhorn to comeup with a desktop after the system is up (past the
startup screen). This is on a 600A Celeron with 512MB.

Microsoft hasn't introduced any compelling new features in the developer
build released at the PDC a few weeks back. There are some dramatic UI
changes: menu- and toolbars have been merged and are no longer located
directly below the titlebar per se. Between the new 'combo'-menus and
the titlebar there's somekind of information/actions banner. It's pretty
awkward. The screenshots speak for themselves. This design can be found
in everything related to explorer: the filemanager, webbrowser and
folder views. Other windows look the same as Windows XP.

First impressions: the UI is complex and seems to conflict with the
newly introduced UI elements that are large and colorful.

WinFS doesn't seem to be included in this build. Same goes for the new
3d interface and vector graphics. OTOH, inserting a cdrom does bringup
an autoplay dialog with a rotating, pixelized cdrom icon in the top-left
corner :)

Regards,

William Leese