List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Issue with fonts in Kate part
From:       Scott Newton <scottn () ihug ! co ! nz>
Date:       2003-10-18 5:49:31

I'm currently running KDE 3.2 from HEAD and have come across a bug that is
currently in the bugs.kde.org list under Kate as Bug 62564 and the status is
given as unconfirmed. The reason for me raising it here on the list is that I
have been able to confirm that this bug exists in the current HEAD version
and seems to affect any application that uses the Kate part and, more
importantly, is confusing for the user.

The easiest way to explain it was to describe what I did.

1. Went into Kile and set my font to Bitstream Charter 10 pt in the Settings
-> Configure Editor -> Schemas -> Font dialog.
2. Opened KDevelop and set my font in KDevelop to Bitstream Vera Sans Mono pt
9 through the same menu. Settings -> Configure Editor -> Schemas -> Font.
3. Went back into Kile and voila, my font had changed to Bitstream Vera Sans
Mono.
4. Went into Kate and set my font to Bitstream Charter pt 10 through Settings
-> Configure Kate -> Editor -> Schemas -> Font.
5. Went back into KDevelop and voila, my font was now Bitstream Charter pt 10.
6. Went into KWrite and set my font to Bitstream Vera Sans Mono pt 9.
7. Went into Konqueror and viewed a text file through the embedded advanced
editor and voila, my font is Bitstream Vera Sans Mono pt 9.

This is presumable true of other editor attributes inherited from the Kate
part.

As mentioned in the bug notes there is a way around this and that is to create
a new schema and specify that as the default for that application. Can I
suggest that either:
1. Each application that uses Kate's part must provide it's own "default"
schema.
2. The behaviour been changed so that the font (schema) is set on a per
application basis.

Hope this is useful.
--
Regards