List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: added debug areas
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-10-13 20:09:10

Good, after tried to calm myself and having tried to think half an hour calmly
at this, I am sorry, but I still find it still unsatisfactory.

First, if let say, we grep on "kword", you will only have KWord's kdebug
messages, However KOffice is about libraries, so you do not need only KWord,
but also, KoText, KOfficeCore, KOfficeUI... to have useful debug output. That
is not solved by a grep.

Personally, I do not understand that one on side you write "it is necessary
for libraries" but on the other you consider it not needed for applications.
I do not understand why you make a separation here.

If you do not worry of having monster log (as your harddisk (+CPU and RAM)
seems to support it), then why do you want to disable some libraries. You can
postprocess them too.

We have with kdebug a flexible system that can work with applications too.
Then why suddenly write (or at least suddenly try to enforce) that
applications are not covered (anymore.)

Because if this policy is really supposed to have been since the start then
why are there so many applications defined in kdebug.areas. The log tells
that version 1.1 of kdebug.areas was created on 1998-09-29 and the first area
for an application (khexedit) was created on revison 1.3 (1998-10-03.) So
applications in kdebug.areas are a pretty old stuff, happening very quickly
after the creation of the areas. So why was it tolerated around 5 years and
now it should not be anymore, additionally in a middle of a KDE version?

That is what I have still not understood in this discussion.

(In any case there seems to be a great need to clarify this for KDE 4.)

Have a nice day!