List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: added debug areas
From:       Shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2003-10-13 18:50:10

Well, I have to say that I had no idea that debug areas were only for
libraries. My previous experience was with KOffice which certainly does have
such areas for apps.

>All it means is a bigger
>kdebug.areas file too parse on startup and bigger log files. šYes, mine is
>presently 300MB - less than a week old.

Then use kdebugdialog to switch off the areas you don't care about! I cannot
believe that parsing a 12K line oriented text file is a significant hit to
any KDE application. On my system:

[srhaque@chiswick kdelibs]$ time grep viki kdecore/kdebug.areas
100300       viki
0.00user 0.00system 0:00.00elapsed 0%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

...and that includes pagefaults, image activation and everything else.

If the consensus is that they are not needed, then I'll go along with such a
communal decision, but I do think it is the wrong decision. Reasonably fine
grained error reporting is essential in a large code base where my code might
be a standaone app today, but will be a library tomorrow.

Also, the issue as to whether distributions enable debug or not is a red
herring: they should, but configure them off by default. Count the number of
unix command line utilties with a -d flag to see that I am not the only one
that thinks that optional debug support in the field is essential.

Thanks, Shaheed