List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Re: Is this MS patent going to affect kopete?
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2003-10-09 17:29:55

André Somers wrote:

> >Simon Perreault wrote:
> >> And since *you* don't live in the US, you can't be sued.
> >
> >But the distributions can be.
> I'd say that's their responsibility.

That's quite lame.  You might as well say it is their responsibility to write
their own software.

> >Still, I have seen quite some software which has a
> > "--without-patented-features" or similar switch.  Something like that
> > plausible?  That way the distros can make their decisions on this easily
> > and they have warnings about the risks they take.
> Are you really planning to do a thourough invesigation exactly what idea was
> patented where in the world, and if it does apply to Kopete?

Of course not.  But when situations arise where one knows of a problem patent
then no such search is needed.  Your view seems to be to hide that knowledge
from the distributors (from your "that's their responsibility" comment above).
Typically that is not how one treats one's friends . . . .

> That doesn't
> sound possible to me. It's far more than a fulltime job.

Ciao,

Dre