List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kopete-devel] Re: Is this MS patent going to affect kopete?
From:       Josef Spillner <spillner () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-10-08 14:07:46

On Wednesday 08 October 2003 15:37, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> I fully support getting rid of software patents altogether. But as long as
> the ridiculous software patents continue, we should at least be useing them
> to protect ourselves.

They cannot be used to protect ourselves.

A large company either doesn't care about KDE or even supports it, or it wants
to cause damage to the project or individual developers. This has happened in
the past already, and there isn't really anything that can be seen as a full
protection. Have a software patent to "fight"? Nice, but they will sue you
because you just violated some trademark. And you won't be able to even
afford a lawyer.

Josef