List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Newbie Guide to Building KDE from CVS. Comments sought.
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-09-16 12:46:19

On Tuesday 16 September 2003 02:51, Mahfouf Anne-Marie wrote:
> Hi,

(...)

> >Also, in your article, you have
> >
> ><quote>
> >Note for Suse users: in /home/kde3/.xinitrc, replace the line
> >exec $WINDOWMANAGER
> >by
> >/usr/local/kde3/bin/startkde
> ></quote>
>
> This was also added from a user request. Is it still valid? I don't know.

Validity is not the problem.

But you cannot start any other windowmanager with this change, not even the
KDE coming with your distribution.

So defining $WINDOWMANAGER is more elegant.

However you may argue that this is only needed when the user wants to use
other window managers than the one of KDE CVS HEAD. If you have a special
user account for KDE CVS HEAD, both methods do not make any difference.

(...)

> annma

Have a nice day!