List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Storage implementation in KDE
From:       Michael Olbrich <michael.olbrich () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-09-13 23:58:03

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 12:07:56PM +0200, Marco Krohn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Why bother blurring the line at all? Just keep the traditional
> > hierarchical organization.
>
> The traditional hierachical organization is illogical in the sense that it is
> not always possible to form proper subsets of categories. For instance does a
> picture of Albert Einstein belong to the folder physics/pics or pics/physics?
> You do not have these kind of problems in a storage implementation.

But physics/pics is not the same as pics/physics. At least for me the
order represents how important a category is.

> For example: if there are 50 images "pics physics einstein", 30 images "pics
> physics teller" and 30 papers "physics high-energy" than by counting how
> often the categories are used we find:
>
> physics = 50 + 30 +30 = 110
> pics = 50+30 = 80
> einstein = 50
>
> >From that it should be possible to show at the top-level a number of
> directories (number depending on personal preferences), e.g.
>
> physics/
> pics/
> (einstein/)
>
> physics splits up to:
>
> physics/pics
> physics/high-energy
> (physics/einstein)
>
> and so on..

That's even worse that a normal hirachical organization. You still have
the hirarchy and it may change. And you may have different paths for
the same file which is _very_ confusing.
If you really want to do something like that then something like this
might work:
Show the atributes on the left side, and all files that match the
selected atributes on the right side. When (un)selecting an item on the
left side update both sides: The left side, so that you never can end up
with a combination that no file matches. The right side to show all
items that match the new combination of atributes.
The big question is when the left side will be cowded. The gui when
creating files is very important. It has to make it easy to find a
category and harder to create a new one. otherwise we end up with
categories like pics/images/image/...

Michael