List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Newbie Guide to Building KDE from CVS.  Comments sought.
From:       Gary Cramblitt <garycramblitt () comcast ! net>
Date:       2003-09-13 19:58:11

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 19:58:16 +0200
Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg@snafu.de> wrote:

> Your experience shows exactly my point that newbies should not try to build
> CVS HEAD first, but should try the last stable branch (currently
> KDE_3_1_BRANCH.) That avoids week-long frustrations.
>
> When the newbie has understood the mechanics of building, she can jump in the
> (very) cold water of CVS HEAD.

Perhaps you are right.  Building KDE_3_1_BRANCH would have given me
practice and experience at building and -- most importantly -- avoided a
lot of frustration and shock.  On the other hand, when I had completed
building KDE 3.1, 1) I still wouldn't be able to contribute much to KDE
3.2 development because 3.1 is so far behind, and 2) I would have a
duplicate copy of KDE 3.1, even though my system already had an
installed and running copy.  Furthermore, if I then moved on to attempt
CVS HEAD, I would have encountered the same shock and frustration.  So I
didn't take your advice when you offered it a few weeks ago.  Maybe that
was mistake.  What do others think?  Is building the last stable branch
a pre-requisite to building CVS HEAD for newbies?

Regards,
Gary Cramblitt