List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Newbie Guide to Building KDE from CVS. Comments sought.
From:       "Mahfouf Anne-Marie" <annemahfouf () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2003-09-13 19:30:28

>From: Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg@snafu.de>
>To: kde-devel@kde.org
>Subject: Re: Newbie Guide to Building KDE from CVS.  Comments sought.
>Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 19:58:16 +0200
>
>Your experience shows exactly my point that newbies should not try to build
>CVS HEAD first, but should try the last stable branch (currently
>KDE_3_1_BRANCH.) That avoids week-long frustrations.
>
>When the newbie has understood the mechanics of building, it can jump in
>the
>(very) cold water of CVS HEAD.

no, not true. As I already said, I have written the same kind of tutorial
and from the feedback I have, it is really useful. The beauty of free
software is that it's free, you're free and people like experimenting, they
like the freedom and maybe the danger ;-) The ones who are willing to learn,
and there are a lot, will be happy to get such a tutorial. People started
with my tutorial installing HEAD and are now sending very useful patches. If
2 or 3 people do that, then your tutorial is useful.
People don't want to stay newbie and Gary is willing to make the process
less difficult for others by sharing his experiment. KDE needs all sort of
tutorials, most of the docs are a bit outdated and I will for my part
encourage people to try CVS and thus participate in the project.

annma