List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.2 feature
From:       Troels Tolstrup <troels () tolstrup ! org>
Date:       2003-09-13 1:33:21

On Saturday 13 September 2003 02:41, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> if you haven't noticed, different kwin decos already do behave
> differently. they have done so since they were introduced in their
> current form in KDE2. B2 is probably one of the most divergent with
> several special behaviours. behavioural diversity is one of the benefits
> (plagues? ;) of having a C++ plugin based system.

Yes, but they all do behave the same way when i double click on the title
bar and click on the other buttons, or at least the ones i have installed
does this. I can't see why double clicking on the menu button should be
different.

Another problem i have with the decorations is that not all of them obeys
the user set button positions, openlook* for instance totally ignores them.
Maybe those decorations that ignores those settings should disable them?
(is it a bug that they don't?)

*) If it did it wouldn't really look like openwindows, so no big surprise.

> a window decoration isn't just visual style, it's operational as well.
> this allows KDE to behave very closely to other systems as well as
> innovate new optional behaviours.

Maybe the name window DECORATION is a bad choice then? To me, that does
indicate that we are talking about purely cosmetic changes.

> an option for a specific click behaviour on a single button in one part
> of the interface would be rediculous. this is exactly the sort of
> microconfiguration that will lead to (KDE.currentOptions() *=
> KDE.currentOptions()), with all the collateral damage that comes along
> with that.

I would personally prefer just to get rid of this behavior as it is silly,
but there seem to be people actually using it. (and i do know a few windows
users who still close windows like this in windows) But i still think an
option is better than trying to make people figure out that that feature is
magically present if they choose a window decoration that looks like their
previous operating system. Maybe the widget style settings should set
double click mode and keyboard shortcuts too? To me, this is equally
ridiculous as the current "double click menu" situtation.

But maybe it is just me who is dead wrong about expecting the window
decorations to be something like a "widget style for windows", but i will
be very surprised if i am alone in thinking that, especially since you
change them the same place where you change all the other visual settings.

Just look further up in this thread to see someone not knowing that it is
window decoration dependant behavior...

Mvh
Troels