List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE start script: startkde
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-09-10 13:41:41

I noticed the the new 3.1.4 startup script still contains:

#
# Get Ghostscript to look into user's KDE fonts dir for additional Fontmap
if test -n "$GS_LIB" ; then
     GS_LIB=$kde_fontsdir:$GS_LIB
     export GS_LIB
else
     GS_LIB=$kde_fontsdir
     export GS_LIB
fi

There are several problems with this.  The most important one is that it
doesn't work.

But, if we need to make this work correctly since as written (please read
the GhostScript dox) it might also screw up the user's system.

Specifically, before adding a directory to: "GS_LIB" it should check to see
if the directory is already there (as it is on my system), check to see if
it is listed in `gs -h`, and check to see if the directory contains a:
"Fontmap" file.  If no Fontmap, the directory should be added to:
"GS_FONTPATH" if it isn't already there.

We can NOT assume that users have not configured their systems.

--
JRT