List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kppp in kdebase
From:       Dominique Devriese <dominique.devriese () student ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       2003-09-11 17:42:50

Mikolaj Machowski writes:

> Hello, This wish probably won't be accepted but I'd like to present
> reasons for moving kppp from kdenetwork to kdebase:

> 1.  In many kde-packages are applications which are net-dependent:

A lot of apps "need" an email-client ( show me a KDE app that doesn't
contain an email address anywhere ) too, and kmail is also in kdepim..

There is a certain order of dependency in the choice of modules, but I
don't think it's about the kind of dependencies you suggest..  I think
that the dependencies that are taken into account are compile-time
dependencies on other apps, not the fact that it might be useful at
runtime to have a certain other app present..

> Not only I see this problem. In Mdk9.1 kppp was moved to separate
> package kdenetwork-kppp because in many cases kppp don't match with
> other programs from kdenetwork which need broadband or at least *DSL
> connection to the net.

I don't think that was the reason that Mdk split kdenetwork up.  I
think the reason they did that is that there are many users that don't
want all of kdenetwork, but only kppp...

> Perhaps this is too late to make this change for 3.2 but IMO this
> thing to think about for 4.0 (or 3.3).

I don't think this is a good idea.  We can't move everything into
kdebase..

cheers
domi