List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: development setup for 3.2 release
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-09-10 13:16:51

Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> I'm curious, how have people set up their development environment for 3.2?
>
> If I understand correctly, 3.2 is now it's own branch and changes made to HEAD
> do not show up in this branch.  So, do you work in CVS head, then just apply
> patches to 3.2?  Or visa-versa?

That is certainly a very good question.

As I understand the theory (and I strongly disagree with it), you work on
HEAD and then try to "backport" to the lower branch if it is a bug fix.

No new features should be added to: KDE_3_2_0_ALPHA_1 unless they are
"urgent".  Could somebody explain what an "urgent commit" is?

OTOH, specific work will need to be done on: KDE_3_2_0_ALPHA_1 to get it
ready for release.  This work might or might not be applicable to HEAD.  If
it is, it should be added the HEAD as well.

So, you really can take your choice, but work on KDE-3.2 should follow the
release schedule:

http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.2-release-plan.html

I will probably work on: KDE_3_2_0_ALPHA_1 (but I have to install a larger
hard drive first :-|) because I feel that getting the release correct is
more important than working on new features.

--
JRT