List:       kde-devel
Subject:    RE: Getting the current directory in a service menu
From:       CARVALHO Luis Passos <luis.passos () enabler ! com>
Date:       2003-09-08 19:05:50

You conclude that from where in the thread?

> [snip}
> Which is not the case here.

And once again, where did the starter of the thread say that?

> [snip]
> No he isn't.  This is only about the limited context of opening an
> application with a 'desktop' file.  Perhaps if he had read
> the whole thread
> before he answered rather than ... .  "&&" is correctly used
> when command
> need to be dependent on the previous command.  This is not
> the case here.

Well, the case here wasn't even cd'ing to the directory of the files but how
get the directory the files were in. In another post it was clarified that
the
intent was to pass the directory as a parameter to the command. But hey,
maybe I
didn't read the whole thread. By the way, in order not to make this mail a
complete waste of bandwidth, the different solutions suggested were:
	1. Change the program to extract the path from the file name that is
passed
as a parameter (The original poster said it could work)
	2. Use %d as specified in the "Desktop Entry Standard" in
developer.kde.org (the original poster also said it worked)
	3. cd %d; command. It would work if you don't mind running the
program, even
if the changing of the directory failed and do not need to pass the
directory as a
parameter. (Not what was wanted but still useful in some cases)
	4. cd %d && comand. Same as 3, but effectively checks if the cd'ing
worked.
	5. Using the "Path" key. The parameter variables only work in the
"Exec" field. In that case "Path" has a constant value, which is not what is
wanted in this case.

Mr. Tyrer, I admire your persistance in tracking down all problems with font

rendering. Many of your comments are interesting to read.

However, the way you express yourself tends to be quite aggressive. I'm sure
some of your thoughts would be better received if you were just a bit more
tolerant to other people's thoughts and didn't sound angry in every mail you

send. Even if an answer is somewhat off the mark (although in this case I
agree
with the use of "&&"), still it is not wrong and just a different oppinion.
Try thinking of the merits of a message more than of the downsides of it.
You'll
see that you'll be happier then.

And for the nitpicking part of you, there are probably spelling and
grammatical
errors in this mail, and I may have been wrong in my interpretation of the
mails
of this thread. In that case, I'm sure you'll enlighten me and I thank you
for
that in advance.

Regards,
Luis Carvalho