List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: compiling error (VTT and vtable)
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-09-08 15:26:04

If you get vtable errors, it means probably one of two things:
- you have forgotten to define a class as virtual (i.e. the class has not any
virtual function.)
- you are mixing libraries compiled with different C++ compilers. (This is not
supported, as each C++ compiler has its own way to do: new, delete,
constructors, destructors and a few other internal stuff.)

Vtables (in long: virtual tables) are the tables where the virtual methods of
each classes are registred. When you use a virtual method in the code, the
compiler noticed that it is for example the second virtual method of the
(basic) class and then will lookup at the second entry of the real class of
the object (which might be different that the basic class. That is why
virtual methods are for.)

Have a nice day!