List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KPaint
From:       Dominique Devriese <dominique.devriese () student ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       2003-09-08 11:56:31

Michael Thaler writes:

> Hello, I was thinking about writing a little KDE paint
> application. Since I am new to KDE programming I cannot write an
> application from scratch and I was thinking of improving kpaint. I
> already read through the source and I understand most of it (I
> hope).

great, hope you have fun with it :)

> First of all, how can I compile just kpaint? I don't know how to use
> automake and I don't want to write my own Makefile.

Neither is really necessary..

> Is there a
> possibility to use the Makefile from kdegraphics and just tell it to
> only compile kpaint? There are two Makefiles in the
> kpaint-directory: Makefile.am Makefile.in. Can they be used to
> create a Makefile somehow?

to check out kdegraphics from CVS, and then compile only kpaint, do
the following:

    # check out kdegraphics, I'm assuming you have already done this.
    cvs co kdegraphics
    cd kdegraphics
    # setup the build system so that configure can do its job.  This
    # creates the configure script, lets automake create the
    # Makefile.in's from the Makefile.am's, and a lot more..
    make -f Makefile.cvs
    # now run the configure script to generate the Makefile's from the
    # Makefile.in's.  You can pass it various options to tune the
    # kdegraphics build ( I always use --enable-debug=full to make
    # sure I can use gdb on the generated executables )
    ./configure --enable-debug=full
    # now everything is set up, and we can start working on kpaint..
    cd kpaint
    # if you do "make", then only kpaint will be built.  If you change
    # something in kpaint somewhere, then simply do "make" again, and
    # the executable will be rebuilt..
    make

> Second, reading through the code, I saw that there is a
> manager-class that handles the drawing tools. Why is this necessary?
> Wouldn't it be more clean to just use KRadioAction to create the
> toolbar for the drawing tools? The advantage would be, that one can
> use XMLUI and that the code is easier to read. Is there some reason,
> why KRadioAction is not used?

I have no idea :)  I don't know the kpaint code..

> <snip: cool ideas for improving kpaint ;)>

It would be great to see these features in kpaint, if you manage to
get them to work, then contact the kpaint maintainer about including
them into HEAD.

have fun
domi