List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KPaint
From:       Michael Thaler <michael.thaler () ph ! tum ! de>
Date:       2003-09-08 11:31:42

Hello,

I was thinking about writing a little KDE paint application. Since I
am new to KDE programming I cannot write an application from scratch
and I was thinking of improving kpaint. I already read through the
source and I understand most of it (I hope).

First of all, how can I compile just kpaint? I don't know how to use
automake and I don't want to write my own Makefile. Is there a
possibility to use the Makefile from kdegraphics and just tell it to
only compile kpaint? There are two Makefiles in the kpaint-directory:
Makefile.am  Makefile.in. Can they be used to create a Makefile
somehow?

Second, reading through the code, I saw that there is a manager-class
that handles the drawing tools. Why is this necessary? Wouldn't it be
more clean to just use KRadioAction to create the toolbar for the
drawing tools? The advantage would be, that one can use XMLUI and that
the code is easier to read. Is there some reason, why KRadioAction is
not used?

I also think, the GUI can be improved considerably. First of all, I
think it makes not much sense to set line properties etc. globally. It
would be nicer to have a configuration dialoge for each tool to set
line width, filled/not filled (e.g. for squares), rounded corners
etc. We would get rid of at least two toolbar actions: Tool Properties
and the Round Angle tool.

I think a fill-tool would also be very nice. I guess with the current
approach of KPaint it is not possible, because we cannot read out
pixels from QPixmap. I think, a solution would be to paint to QPixmap
and also to QImage and read the pixels then from QImage. GPaint has a
fill-tool, so maybe I will have a look, how they do it.

It would be also nice to have some tools to oilify the picture
etc. like GPaint.

It would be nice if you can give me some hints how to setup a Makefile
so that I can get started. I think I will set up my own CVS version,
because I don't know if I get my inteded changes working and I don't
know how much time I find for that. And I do not want to work on an
official KDE application right now:-)

Greetings,
Michael
--
We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring
will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.