List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fonts dialog for odd fonts formats
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-08-26 22:18:09

Jaime Soffer wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> If you can't get this to work, please submit a feature request.  What
>> you need is an application specific list of the fonts to use.  This is
>> something that is generally needed for all applications.  That would
>> work to exclude the fonts you don't want to display in the dialog
>> !(*.cxf). However, I don't know if you can also get it to use CXF font
>> files since it doesn't AFAIK, use CXF fonts.
>

> I don't think I have explained myself correctly about the CXF format. It
> is a vector format in palin text files where the font is defined as
>
> [Q] 9
> L 1,3,1,6
> A 4,6,3,90,180
> A 4,3,3,180,270
> L 4,9,5,9
> L 5,0,4,0
> L 8,6,8,3
> A 5,6,3,0,90
> A 5,3,3,270,0
> L 8,0,5,3
>
> The [Q] is the font to display, the lines beginning by L are lines (x1,
> y1, x2, y2) and the ones beginning by A are arcs (x, y, radio, start
> angle, end angle). The CAD uses an special routine to read them.
>
> The QCad approach is to make a custom widget, so once one press the
> "Text" button the dialog pops with sections for Dimension, Alignment,
> Text, Shape and Font. I don't want to go this way; I'd prefer to use the
> KDE font dialog to get better consistency.
>

>> If not you can just use the File dialog with the needed filter:
>>
>>     (*.cxf, *.CXF)
>

> If adding the correct importers to the KFontDIalog and/or KFontChooser
> takes too long that's what I'm going to do in short term, but it's less
> usable since the font still needs dimension/aligning, which have to be
> done with separate commands.

This appears to be a completely different font format.  So, I presume that
you are not going to be using the Qt font system with it.  If you want to
"use" the KDE font dialog, you are going to have to make a clone of it --
copy the layout and style of the widget but have it display your own data
-- since it is closely linked to the Qt font system.

--
JRT