List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Is QSplitter the "best" method of splitting your view?  And a
From:       Jason <jsmith2137 () satx ! rr ! com>
Date:       2003-08-25 22:24:49

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 15:46, Rolf Magnus wrote:
> On Monday 25 August 2003 07:42, Jason wrote:
> using QT Designer
> > and this tool has a great method of arranging various widgets with a
> > Splitter control.
> >
> > My question:  is this method of splitting a view a good going-forward
> > way of doing things or is there a class in KDE that does this in a
> > better maybe more KDE way?
>
> Is this related to the second question? I.e. do you consider dock widgets as
> alternative to a QSplitter? Dock widgets are also separated by splitters.

Awesome!  Thanks.  I saw that DockWidget last night as I was reading
around and I guess I just thought it had something to do with the task
bar or something--stupid me for not checking it out anyway.

The KDockWidget looks like it is exactly what I needed.  That way all
parts of the program could be brought out into separate windows for
those that don't like the single window approach.

> > I plan on using some of the SQL widgets from QT -- (actually, I have
> > tried to find this in their docs, but are these SQL widgets under the
> > QT/X11 Free license?)
>
> UTSL!
> >From the top of src/sql/sqlform.h in the Qt sources:

UTSL? -- let me guess, Use The Search Line? :-)  Next time I'll remember
that... thanks.

I'd like to use the KPart idea but that will have to come later, as this
is my first KDE Application and I'm still learning C++ and getting the
hang of things, so right now the simpler the better :-)

Well, thanks again for your help,

Jason