List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Introducing and Devices Kicker Applet
From:       Kévin Ottens <ervin () tuxfamily ! org>
Date:       2003-08-24 13:39:40

Le Samedi 23 Août 2003 21:46, Aaron J. Seigo a écrit :
> very nice! i think this is definitely quality enough to be in KDE...

Thank you!

> my only thoughts are:
>
> 	o instead of calling it devicesapplet (which is how it appears in the Add
> -> Applets menu), call it just Devices.. we know it's an applet ;) , and it
> should be capitalized as its a name.

You're right... :)
It's now done!

> 	o i wonder if left clicking should bring up the menu that is currently
> associated with the RMB, which an added "Open" entry? after using it, i'm
> wondering if "average" users will find the RMB menu with all its
> usefullness, or just click on the icons and often get the "not mounted"
> option?

In an early version I was using the popupmenu with left clicking...
I don't know what is best. In fact, I was trying to have the same
behaviour than the desktop icons to be consistent and help user migration
if they were using the desktop or devices:/ url in konqueror.

By the way, I've added the open entry in the menu. I'll wait a little before
moving the menu to left click... Maybe further user testing would be useful
before this change?

The new version is here (including modification for moc files):
http://ervin.tuxfamily.org/download/devicesapplet-20030824.tar.bz2

> 	o the service menus integration is a great idea. =) the code dupe isn't
> 100% optimal, but no reason not to put it in CVS as it's only a few dozen
> lines and there's no other way around it right now. perhaps i'll factor out
> the servicemenu generation code from konq_popupmenu.cc for KDE 3.3 if this
> is in CVS....

I've tried to do better for avoiding code duplication... but I've failed ;)
I'll wait KDE 3.3 to do better then! =)

> but those aren't huge issues at all, IMHO... really great job =))

Thanks a lot!!

> i'm forwarding this on to kde-core-devel where it will get read by more of
> the core developers.

Should I subscribe to kde-core-devel and forward the present mail to it?

> also, email sysadmin@office.kde.org for a CVS account
> so you can add and maintain this gem...

Ok, I will request for a CVS account, but where should it be commited?

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.tuxfamily.org
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."