List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: checking for GTK and glib in configure.in.in ?
From:       Marc Espie <espie () quatramaran ! ens ! fr>
Date:       2003-08-21 11:49:57

In article <3F317E80.8070300@acm.org> you write:
>And what I also understand is that there are several 'alpha' developers
>like Zack that
>seem to think that rather than provide assistance to new people that
>they should instead
>make mingent remarks (to mark their territory).  In his latest rant, he
>has admitted that
>he considers this list to be his territory and new people are not
>welcome.  This is a very
>unfortunate attitude -- but I have no solution to it.

Alpha developers get the job Done.
When that involves tracking down mistakes and fixing them, they often
get annoyed, and it shows in the commit messages.
But they don't bear grudges about that. It's all about the code.
You write good code and I respect you.
You write bad code and I don't give a shit about your opinions.
You spend time writing good code in an area and I respect that: I ask
your advice before committing to that area, and I expect you to do the
same with my areas.

Future alpha developers are the guys who have the
hubris to learn from their mistakes. Instead of getting disgusted at
people telling them `they suck', they stop sucking, and keep
contributing to projects.

The only projects alpha coders leave are the projects that take an inordinate
amount of time for them. Say, when you submit variations of a bug-fix again
and again and get ignored. Or when everyone commits stupid code and you spend
more time fixing other people's errors than doing useful work.