List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: QString data
From:       Harri.Porten () gmx ! de
Date:       2003-08-20 14:13:51

> On Wednesday 20 August 2003 13.25, Tim Jansen wrote:
>
> > - you did not compile Qt with QT_QSTRING_UCS_4. In other words, QChar
has 2
> > bytes and not 4. You can check that at compile time, a sizeof(QChar)
should
> > be enough

Above option is rather experimental as I don't think that the rest of
QChar/QString (tables, conversions etc.) are ready to handle 32 bit chars.

> Write strings to file. I'm iteration through the strings, using
> QDataStream.writeRawBytes(string[i], sizeof(QChar)).

Don't use the address of the string itself but the unicode() function !

> Then I mmap() the file into the process, and I have a list of offsets to
> each  string within the file. I create QConstString objects under the
assumption
> that each character is sizeof(QChar).

Sounds doable. The only possible problem could be a difference in endianess
or alignment (less likely).

Harri.